Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Murky Waters of Social Networking...

Phew...Itz been a long time since I last posted in this wonderful space better known to the outside world as 'Blogosphere' - A world of itz own...And maybe a manifestation of all those around the world frantically trying to find a place where they can melt down their emotions and reactions to issues pertaining from mundane everyday life to wide-ranged public news. Whatever it is we are in the age of the 'www' and 'e-commerce' and itz not hard to imagine and needless to say that I too was drawn into such a place some time back. But it has never been looking back since then and the fever had spread to social networking as well.

The most widespread and dangerous being Orkut. I know I am being harsh by making it sound like an epidemic but thatz what it has become. It has spread itz tentacles with such venom and speed that innocents are falling prey to criminals with a deceptively sane disguise (public profiles I mean). People are being asked to withdraw their profiles as the fear of being targeted by the mafia is on the high. Governments across the globe are still coming to terms with this menace and how it can affect national security, leave aside providing a safe medium for plotting and implementing rampant crimes...Guyz for all the good it brings with it there is always a rider (darker side) attached.

One very important aspect that goes against Orkut is itz popularity over other networking sites - MySpace, FaceBook, Gazzag, Hi5 and Ryze being the prominent ones among others and we do have lesser known mortals in MingleBox, Yaari and the more recent BigAdda.
But people often confuse public forums with social networking. Thatz where a Fropper is different than an Orkut.

Some of my friends have already withdrawn their profiles from Orkut...Some who want to be on the safer side but still cant get rid of the bug have atleast made an attempt by removing all their shared personal pictures and videos.

If u ask me I would probably suggest u to tread cautiously as I myself being an avid Orkut-er know the joy and addiction it brings but I guess when lives are at risk the excitement be better short-lived. This post may be a bit radical in nature going by the tone of it but I am not making a statement here nor are my views meant to be influential. They just express the state of affairs and the dangers of social networking. For the more inquisitive it means that all said and done I will still maintain my Orkut Profile but with a lot more caution.
Some suggestions on keeping urself clean :
- Dont accept friend requests from unknown faces. Yes u are here to meet people ...but a golden rule would be to get to know them better or studying their profile before accepting them and making ur sensitive information open to them. Exchanging scraps till that point are a safer bet ...If u are still not able to judge someone as genuine itz always safer not to accept !!
- Dont get lured by indecent profile pictures and video/album postings. U r here for friends and not for voyeuristic pleasures. There are other locations for the same !!
- As far as possible keep ur album clean...Profile pictures can be and should be genuine as they identify u as someone genuine and recognizable but be careful while sharing other personal pictures and videos. A gud way would be to classify them as sensitive and non-sensitive....Again if u r not sure donot share them !!
Letz try our best to 'Keep Orkut Clean And Beautiful'
Lotz of 'gyaan' as of now...But yes I do try my best to follow dese golden rules. I donot know how much of an impact this post is going to make at a time when this whole topic is under the scanner but I do wish that it makes a difference. And yes comments are always welcome !!

The delay in this post was brought in probably becoz of two reasons...One of them being my preoccupation with some work or the other and not being able to make a final edit. And the other being my own self admitted laziness. There are two draft versions which were supposed to be posted long back. I think they mite be outdated but will try my best to factor them in as I do believe people mite be interested in it...-:)
Puzzle Lovers - Some food for thought links :

For the movie buffs...Would give decent ratings to 'Chak De INDIA' and 'Gandhi, My Father' amongst recent releases...Check out for more reviews in the next post !!!
Till then Cheers !!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home