Sunday, August 13, 2006

Two Extremes In Bollywood Cinema !

Just had the priviledge of watching two of the most hyped Bollywood movies after "Rang De Basanti"...While I really do admire directors like Rakesh Mehra and Vishal Bharadwaj for making movies like "Rang De .." and "Omkara"...I really do feel for the continual fooling of the audience by Karan Johar and co. through their candy floss romance, exotic locales, "rona dhona" and hippy songs...!!

Kunal Kohli's "Fanaa" could have been better...But I dont blame the actors...Both Kajol and Aamir were at their best but the script was loose...As for "KANK", for those of you who haven't seen the movie..My simple advice would be - "Please Don't Go"...You wont be able to sustain it...If you like the songs so much because of the scenic locales...get the DVD !!

As for the cast I think Shahrukh needs a break from his stereotype roles...Wont last him long !!


Coming back to the other movie that I saw "Omkara"..Its a classic told in a very rustic way and holds the audience till the very end...Its an adaptation of Shakespeare's "Othello"...and a very good one at that..I know some of you wont like the dialogues in the movie...But hey that is originality at its clinical best...How else do you want criminals to talk...!!

All in all I have seen the worst and the best of commercial Bollywood Cinema !!...And I do feel we should move on...Movie makers should start focussing on serious cinema like "Rang De.." and "Omkara" rather than fooling audiences !!

As far as meaningful cinema goes...Keep checking this blog for my views on some of the well made Crossover and Off-Beat Hinglish Movies !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home